State Of The Art


The internet continues to be a wild and wooly place. Just this week my computer was seized by unknown assailants who stripped my windows XP of it’s exe. commands.
It’s getting ridiculous.


I find now I am more dependent on my computer. I’m a design consultant and everything I need is on the web.Software,advice you name it,I sound like a newbie,but I can’t believe everything I learned in design school now takes place on a computer.

The whole design department in the brick and mortar school I attended would be a few megabytes of information on the web now.


Ahh, the wonders of technology.I have to laugh at how much time I’d spend running around back in the day to do the projects I create now.Just the cost of the gas would be exorbitant.The client,printers,typesetters the suppliers,the art store:all in my computer!

The one thing that isn’t there, is my mind.I still have to make the idea come to life.I still have to think a problem through and solve the visual puzzle.


The thing I like about the computer and it’s attendant software, is I can visualize a design almost as finished art.Finished art,sounds so antiquated as a term for completed designs.I miss the tactile sketching I use to do to develop my ideas.I still draw but not as many thumbnails as I used too.I miss doing that.I must go back to it because I have found better solutions when I sketch.

Designing on the software apps does bring out the visual cliches.I find I have to edit myself more when using software.The other thing I find I have to do is push beyond the early solutions to get to the answer to the visual problem.The software makes things 
look so good!



The other cool thing about the apps is you can get lost in FX.You can do things with images that would have blown the budget away back in the old school days.I have to allow myself that luxury of using FX and not thinking like I did in the old days that the production department won’t let me do this or that and I have to be conservative with color,type,screens and photos.



I sometimes wish I had been born later because the technology costs so much less and
the end results are so much better than in ancient times.

Google+

Give the Gift of Art & Design!"

Comments

Popular Posts